SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WWSB) – The Sarasota County School District emailed families on Friday regarding COVID-19 resources available ahead of the spring semester.
The Florida Department of Health in Sarasota is partnering with the school district to offer PCR testing to symptomatic staff and students. This is for all public, private and charter schools in the county.
In certain situations, family members of staff or students may be eligible for this test. This test will be available by appointment only.
To request a test, a staff member or a student’s tutor should complete the COVID-19 Test Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot submit the request form, call 941-861-2941.
The DOH test locations on the form remain the same, but the hours of operation have changed:
- North Port: 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Monday to Friday
- Osprey: 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Monday to Friday
- Bell: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday to Friday
The SCSD is undertaking the following mitigation efforts:
- Wearing a mask is optional, not compulsory, in accordance with Bill 1
- As per CDC and DOH recommendations: Universal indoor masking is recommended for all students (ages two and up), staff, teachers, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of status vaccine
- Social distancing will be implemented where possible
- SCSD continues to use HEPA air filters – MERV 13
- Common work areas, equipment and personal workspaces are regularly cleaned and disinfected; this includes renewed cleaning methods and increased cleaning of high contact surfaces and points
The SCSD’s contact tracing process is aligned with the guidelines of Dr. Joseph Ladapo, Surgeon General of the State of Florida. Parents or legal guardians of students who have had direct contact with a positive case may choose one of the following options:
- Allow the student to attend school, participate in school sponsored activities, or be on school property, without restrictions, as long as the student remains asymptomatic
- Quarantine the student; a quarantined student may return to school on or after day eight
The district requires parents and guardians to drive their children to and from school, if possible, due to the omicron variant. “Although our school buses are cleaned thoroughly and regularly, a temporary decrease in the total number of bus passengers can help reduce the rate of potential spread of COVID on our buses. “
For more information on the district’s COVID-19 policies, click here.
Copyright 2022 WWSB. All rights reserved.