Human security

Minister of Health of Kerala – The New Indian Express

Through Express news service

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Following the assault of a passerby by two security officers at Thiruvananthapuram Medical College Hospital on November 19, Health Minister Veena George ordered hospital authorities to restrict security personnel.

Veena also ordered the MCH superintendent to rescind the deal with the private security company that employed the guards, if necessary. After discovering that the two guards were not reporting to the MCH security guard, the Minister instructed all security personnel to report to the officer. Veena also said they will be given the necessary training to prevent such incidents.

It is alleged that personnel without any training have been involved in attacks by passers-by in the past. Following the recent incident, medics demanded that former military officials be appointed as security guards. After the assault, Congress and the BJP staged protests demanding action against the private security agency.

They alleged that the former servicemen were denied jobs to employ CPI (M) members through the security agency. Meanwhile, the security agency suspended the Vishnu and Ratheesh guards. They were arrested on Saturday for assaulting Arun Dev, from Chirayinkeezhu, and were later released on bail. Police are looking for the third security guard who also assaulted Arun.

Although there were several complaints about the unruly behavior of security personnel, the authorities took no action. The recent incident gained attention when video of the assault went viral on social media. Arun was looking after his grandmother who was admitted to Ward 17 of the Children’s. He planned to leave the hospital by handing the hospital pass to a relative on Friday.

The incident occurred at the entrance to wards 17, 18 and 19 located near the old hospital mortuary. Security guards at the door claimed he was trying to get another person into the room. The argument led to a brawl between the two sides. In the video, the guards were seen taking Arun near their room and assaulting him.

They also closed the doors to prevent others from intervening. Speaking on the matter, the chairman of the Kerala State Human Rights Commission, Antony Dominic, ordered the town’s police commissioner and the director of medical education to file a report within three weeks on the incident.

What happened

Security guards Vishnu and Ratheesh assaulted Arun Dev who was in the hospital as a bystander of his grandmother. Guards attacked him as he tried to hand over the spectator pass to a relative before leaving the hospital