Name of request: Human Resources Officer
Application number: VN175
Salary range: $20,000 – $35,000 USD
EngenderHealth envisions a gender-equal world where all people obtain their sexual and reproductive health and rights. We believe this is essential to ensure that everyone can reach their full potential. To achieve this vision, we implement high-quality, gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights.
The Human Resources Manager will provide a client-focused working partnership to ensure appropriate human resources management support in the Country Office and other field staff with staff responsibilities. Working in conjunction with the HQ HR team and Country Operations staff, the HR will be responsible for all aspects of Human Resources for Nigeria. They will support the effective implementation of HR policies and practices consistent with EngenderHealth standards, including the recruitment process, employee onboarding, maintaining competitive compensation structures, administering local benefits programs in accordance with country requirements and updating the human resources policies and procedures manual. , staff development and departures. The incumbent will ensure that the country program/projects comply with HR administrative and reporting requirements. The incumbent will also be responsible for working with country program management and staff on employee relations and performance management issues and leading other HR initiatives as well as HR reporting and analysis.
Recruitment and talent management
- Manage the full-cycle recruitment process for regular, temporary and intern staff as applicable for assigned positions and as needed
- Plan, organize and manage the recruitment and selection process, i.e. obtaining approvals, posting advertisements, researching, screening candidates, scheduling interviews and maintaining a pool of potential candidates
- Support the hiring and management of project personnel and ensure that all contractual agreements with consultants comply with local laws and EngenderHealth practices
- Work closely with hiring managers to finalize applications, develop recruitment strategies to identify and present hiring managers with a shortlist of candidates for interviews
- Source, attract, screen and refer top talent using innovative screening tools to build the pipeline of pre-screened candidates in EngenderHealth’s key areas
- Support in creating job descriptions, role profiles based on job and organizational requirements
- Negotiate salaries with recommended candidates
- Performs reference and background checks on recommended candidates
- Collaborate with internal clients to assist in the selection of recruiting and staffing firms and other vendors as required.
Embarkation and disembarkation
- Coordinate new employee orientation schedules in partnership with other departments and conduct HR presentation for new hires
- Manage the departure process, including conducting exit interviews for departing staff and facilitating full and final payment to departing staff.
Employee Relations / Performance Appraisal
- Provide guidance to staff on the PEP and PIP process
- Provide expert advice and guidance to project managers and staff on performance and employee relations matters
- Improve the performance of managers and employees by identifying and clarifying problems; assess potential solutions; implement the selected solutions; coach and advise managers and employees
- Provide training and support for staff performance reviews.
Administration and compliance of the human resources policy
- Implement, maintain, and update human resource policies and procedures in accordance with EngenderHealth office policies, donor requirements, and local labor laws
- Manage and ensure HR records and files are updated accurately and in a timely manner, protecting confidential information and in compliance with local labor laws. These should include contracts, completion of probationary period, health/life insurance records/records, pension plan, work permits, statutory issues and regulations, vacations, etc. . Monitor, update personnel information in ABRA
- Provide advice to project staff on matters of discipline, grievances, harassment and discrimination and manage investigations in conjunction with the Country Representative.
Compensation and Benefits Administration
- Conduct salary and benefits review – collect and analyze market data i.e. benefits and salary levels
- Administer staff vacation, sick leave, absence levels, maternity leave and flexible work requests, among others, manually and via the Dovico software system
- Manage all health and life insurance policies, including staff medical/health issues, health and life insurance premium payment authorizations in a timely manner
- Ensure the efficient administration of staff medical coverage with the insurer for new employees and for the withdrawal of terminated employees
- Liaise with legal advisors on various HR-related legal matters
- Review and provide assistance in revising country office travel policies in accordance with local practices, donor requirements, and EngenderHealth policies
- Comply with legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; ensuring compliance with requirements; advise management on necessary actions
- Answer all staff questions / work as a subject matter expert with regards to HR policies and procedures.
- Updates professional knowledge by reading professional publications, maintaining professional networks
- Provide HR related support during program expansion and downsizing
- Other comparable duties may be assigned to this position from time to time in general support of EngenderHealth activities.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Human Resource Management or related field preferred
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant HR experience, including recruitment, compensation, employee relations, HR administration, performance management and staff development, preferably in an international NGO
- Project management skills – able to plan effectively, manage multiple priorities and have strong attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills, especially Windows, Microsoft Office applications required. Experience using an HR information system preferred
- Willingness to travel to field offices.
GENERAL ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of Reflection, Inclusion, Integrity, Respect, and Transformation
- Creative, responsible and responsive strategist
- Excellent communication skills including oral, written and presentation skills
- Strong people management and supervisory skills
- Energetic and enthusiastic approach to work
- Autonomous with the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES AND FEATURES
- Ability to deliver training and development programs upon request
- Proven experience and ability to effectively manage a varied workload, working to tight deadlines and schedules
- Deliver results through effective work planning and organization demonstrated by an ability to prioritize time and workload even under pressure
- A good team member and ability to lead trainings
The statements above describe the general nature and level of work performed by the person(s) assigned to this position. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, tasks and skills required of personnel so classified. All staff members may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as required and assigned.
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, sex, gender identity, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, political beliefs, sexual orientation, genetic information, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, pregnancy status, disability or any other characteristic or status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
EngenderHealth complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in all locations in the United States where the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves, compensation and training.
EngenderHealth is committed to protecting all people, especially children, vulnerable adults, and recipients of assistance, from harm that may be caused by contact with EngenderHealth. This includes damages resulting from the conduct of staff, associates and partners; and the design and implementation of programs and activities.